On March 8, 1848 King Kamehameha III divided the lands reserved unto himself in the Great Mahele into two parts. One part he retained for himself, his heirs and assigns; the other part he set aside to the government. This action of the King was approved by the Legislature on June 7, 1848. The lands retained by the King were first known as the King’s Lands. On January 1, 1865, these lands were placed in the jurisdiction of the Commissioner of Crown Lands. Thereafter, these lands became known as Crown Lands.